Thursday, July 10, 2008

Cesspool of my mind…

O.K. Yea, what ever! I was thinking about toys today. You know, Kids toys (not adult ones, just wanted to clarify that ) and I realized something. WOAH, there is something to realize about toys? Yea, actually there is. Toys today have extracted the imagination factor out of playing. Yepper do.

The major big time toy I had growing up were the Bryer horses. I would pick wisely because it was few and far between that I got a new toy. I would spend hours imagining what the horse would do and how it would run and all that nonsense. I am not saying that there were not interactive toys back then, because there were, they had a pull chain in the back or a wind up ring or something of the sort. Then HOT WHEELS got big and the whole concept of toys that did something rolled off the assembly line. Poor old Saint Nick was put out of business with his wooden trains and rag dolls.

OK, now look at toys today. You turn them on and they play with themselves. Literally. What fun is that? We have toy boxes full of these interactive toys that my older daughter had to have and won't play with because they are "Creepy, boring, don't do what the box says… and so on."

Both of my kids have more fun with paper and pencils, crayons, markers or whatever source of ink and medium then they do with actual toys.

Except Lulu. She loves her baby dolls. Molly, she loves that stupid rag doll that has been repaired a million times. And we all love the bag of balls (the kind for them jumping things like at Chuck E Cheeses) that we randomly throw at each other. And that is about it. The rest are money poorly spent and sitting in a box waiting for spiders to inhabit.

I say, bring back the fun.

3 Comments:

Blogger LL said...

Ahhhh... I remember those days...

7/10/08, 10:28 PM  
Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

You are so right about todays toys. One of my granddaughters has a virtual cat, that has to be fed, etc. I told my daughter if the kid wants a cat, to get her a real cat, and she can learn how to take care of a living animal and have fun as well. But kids today still enjoy painting and drawing, and making things with play dough, and blowing bubbles, etc.

I enjoyed this though provoking post. You have an interesting blog.

And thanks for visiting my humble blog. Hope you visit again.

Take care!

Renie

7/11/08, 3:16 PM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

You are so right! That is why our daughter and her family moved "out of the city"...to let the kids already creative minds expand! TV is at bare minimum for them and they find fun & games in the mud, in chalk & crayons, with their pets~ and with each other!!

7/12/08, 2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.