Sunday, February 01, 2009

Ode to Michael Phelps

Quote of the day: "We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


 

Song of the day: "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" Frankie goes to Hollywood


 

With multi-million dollar contracts with companies like Visa, PowerBar, AT&T Wireless and Speedo; Michael Phelps admitted the pictures of him hitting a bong were real. And he may loose his contracts because of his poor judgment. And right now in this date and time I think that is the impediment of wrong for Corporate America to threaten an American Icon. Yes he was wrong. Yes he used VERY bad judgment. Does that make him any less determined of an athlete? Did that cause him to loose focus or his competitive edge? These corporations are looking at it as a bad image for them. Like we DON'T already have a bad image of the money orgy these companies are playing in? Let Mike be your spokes person I say. Here are some examples of how you can profit off of his mistake: Mike, this is in good humor, I still love your athletic ability and wish you the best future you can possible have, next time pick better friends to party with. Wink Wink.


 

First we will Pick on AT & T. There are a few versions of this we can go with. But lets just set this scenario up. See, Phelps should have carried an AT&T cell phone. That way his agent could have reached him and told him he was making a big mistake

"This is Michael Phelps phone, I don't have AT&T and I am about to try to impress a girl and a bunch of partiers by hitting on a bong and I don't know that I am surrounded by money hungry party goers that just want to sell my shame to the newspaper"

See…. Wasn't that fun? Personally I think the little moron that sold is picture and his story is the one that compromised a big ethical barrier of trust. The guy was just trying to be normal and have a life outside of the pressure of being famous. Is that too much to ask? Like I said before, we all make stupid mistakes.

Next we have Speeedo.

You see, not much fits in a Speedo. You can't hide a pipe on your hip like you can in swimming trunks. Mikes face never has to be shown on this one. A beach shot. Pan in to a hand stuffing a pipe (in a concealed manner) into a pocket on a pair of Brumada shorts. Pan in to the same thing on a few different bathing suits. Pan into the same thing on a man (with Mikes body) attempting to do the same thing and then tossing it in a trash can. The logo…. No room for misguidance… or something.

IT IS WORKING!

Last I will pick on VISA. Why? Because it is fun and everyone picks on VISA.

Organizing the college party of the CENTURY:

Food, snacks, grill- $2000

Beer, alcohol, ice, cups= $5000

Misc Items like toilet paper, towels, and party favors - $1500

Being a friend and STOPPING Michael Phelps from hitting the bong (like a young jock saying, hey man, you don't want to do that)

Priceless

Does anyone follow me or see where I am going with this? Mike Phelps screwed up. In the adult world it happens and the screwer upper is the one responsible for his or her actions. I think Mike took the first big step in taking responsibility for his actions by admitting that it was in fact him. Now, everyone needs to back off of the negative media coverage and give him a chance to make his redemption. You and I and corporate America don't know what will come about. But if Corporate America lets him make his 100 million in advertising fees, he might be donating it to a really great cause. You don't know and I don't know but Mike, I am rooting for you!

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger The CDM said...

First thought that went through my head as I heard this news: "Big fucking deal." I mean really, he hit some weed, so what? Now, if he hit the crack pipe, different story. I just see it that way. Bottom line, they ought to leave him alone and let this just pass. As a swimmer, he has to go through a crap load of drug testing and if this shows up and they take action against him, its his own damn fault. If he knew he wasn't going to be tested for a while...

Just sayin'.

2/1/09, 4:50 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

I agree CDM. It could have been worse. Come on! He did pass drug tests for the Olympics. He made a mistake, everyone will make a mistake at least once in their life. I have made way more than one!

2/1/09, 5:07 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

It's hilarious reading the comments on MSNBC. Most think it's silly to get so up in arms over the incident. But one guy actually tried to compare the picture with Michael Vicks. So now pot smoking is on the same level as illegal dog fighting? I don't think so. Athlete or no, he's still a kid. If they want to take away his sponsorship that is there right, but it'd be nice if we could just this once skip the crucifixion. Maybe he'll get some offers from people like Doritos to replace what he might lose. Hee. (Couldn't resist.)

2/1/09, 8:59 PM  
Blogger dr sardonicus said...

I don't think this hurts him that much. It's not the 80's anymore; it's damned hard to find an adult who's never smoked pot.

2/1/09, 9:31 PM  
Blogger The CDM said...

I never did it.

2/2/09, 7:35 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

How old are you CDM?

2/2/09, 8:36 AM  
Blogger fermicat said...

The list of who hasn't smoked a doobie is no doubt far shorter than the list of who has. Not a big deal, really.

2/2/09, 10:19 PM  
Blogger The W.O.W. factor! said...

Well...I agree that Corporate America has done more harm to this country than Michael ever could! Heck, you have to admire him for 'taking responsibility" ...Corp. Armerica sure as heck isn't for their blunders!

2/3/09, 11:21 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Yea about Mike the swimmer...I hold him in a high regard, I think he did the right thing by admitting to his mistake and I think that puts him back in the positive role model for kids. I am not pleased with what he did, but he is telling kids, hey I made a big mistake BUT I am a good enough person to admit to it.

2/4/09, 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.