Sunday, June 05, 2005

Pink Floyd "Boom boom, bang bang, lie down your dead"

Have you ever had a time in your life when an music album influenced you beyond all means? I have. To this date I still find myself waiting for this one line from the song, "Two suns in the sunset"

"...Like the moment when the brakes lock and you slide towards the big truck.... you have no recourse to the law anymore..." From Pink Floyd; The Final Cut.

I actually love the whole album. I’ve bought several copies of it over the years. This CD is starting to skip, SO I will be buying another, GRRRR. But it stages the set of my mind about leaving California. It was like a nuclear blast to the skull.

I also wonder about the song, "Not now John". Would he be referring to a political leader in the USA at that given time. Like McCarthy? I just wonder.

Word of the day... or more precisely I need a definition for. "Cenotaph" how it is used in "Southhampton dock" is "... gathered at the cenotaph, all agreed with the hard on heart, to sheath the sacrificial knifes...."

But I would go insofar as to ponder the name sake song of the album. "The final cut" when the lyric sing or read however you wish to view that..."... I held the blade in trembling hands, prepared to make it hurt, just then the phone rang, I never had the nerve to make the final cut..." I don’t really think he is referring to suicide. I am torn between
a) the final cut being that he never bared his soul to his partner ... like he carries on earlier in the song the what if’s if he did...
b) or the blade being a pen... like he was going to write down his life...
c) he never had the courage to carry on his life as he planned because we were in the fallout of the cold war.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spirit Of Owl said...

Luvin' the Floyd. Luvin 'em.

I don't know what they're called in the USA, but here in the UK a cenotaph is a war monument. Most cities and towns, even villages have one. Usually it's a statue of a soldier on a pedestal, and the pedestal has the names of local fallen soldiers on plaques. They're usually set in tended gardens with a few benches. On 11/11, Remembrance Day, we put poppy wreaths around them. The rest of the time they're a haven for teenage gangs and get covered in graffiti.

6/6/05, 6:48 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks Hoot. Now, lets see here, I've got an elf "costume" complete with hat... to match them winning shorts....

6/6/05, 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.