Sunday, April 10, 2005

Read this book

Occasionally I come aross something that sparks my intrest. Mmmk. yea. Well. Recently while looking for an old piece of writing for a friend, I came across a book report I had to write in college. Got to love the creative writing courses. Anyway. It was on the book "The Beans of Egypt Maine" by Carolyn Chute. Not my normal type of book. I'd picked it up at a used book store by mistake or it was more accuratly delibertly placed in my bag by the lowley clerk. Some know the uth .. miss high and mighty phase went thru after high school. well apparantly it was a wider spread observance then I was aware. Anyway. I remember reading this book. Appaled. I read it two three four times. then the teacher (carolyn bennett) instructed us to write a book report. I astonished her by writing mine on the beans. She mared up my orginal copy with distest. Correcting things that did not need to be corrected. In rebellion I dug the book out again and re-wrote the paper. The second shot I delibertly made it drip with distain at those lower then I and I naturally put my humor in it. One line in particular was the one where I described the main character and her horror at being raped by a "Bean.". I re-submitted the paper determined not to get that horrific red D-. Later that night I got a phone call from my professor. We got in an epic conversation about the book and it's relation to real life. She said if I wrote the paper in that context then she would give me a better grade but as it sat I was still holding a D-. One of the few times in my life I admitted defeat and re-wrote the paper thru anothers eyes. I did however keep the part about being raped by a bean because it read sooo fucking funny. I was awarded an A-. Conform or die. the buracracy in college drove me nuts. But Carolyn Bennett was a fantastic teacher. Please take the time to read that book. again it is called "The Beans of Egypt Maine" By Carolyn Chute.... and if I get time to retype the paper this weekend, (on the computer) I will do so and post it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.