Tuesday, June 23, 2009

PETA, Policy, Obama, and Smoking

I was reading over to Michelle's blog and I came across this piece of PETA. The summary of that is: PETA is up in arms about Obama swatting a fly. UM. OK. IMHO, I feel that PETA should be more up in arms about Korea and their missile testing. In the reality of things is that an entire ecosystem is at danger if the missile testing goes awry. I would think that PETA would be more interested in an entire ecosystem in danger then the life of a pesky fly. I firmly believe that PETA needs to pick fights they can win (hence picking on Obama about a fly and swatting it in the public eye and not in the privacy of his home) but on the other hand; I feel that PETA needs to pick fights that will benefit the greater good of the ecosystem. Maybe PETA cannot pick a fight with North Korea and win be successful at the outcome. However, PETA could focus its intentions on making the public aware of the damage of missile testing. Show the people what happens to ecosystems when they are flash fried by a bomb (be it nuclear or daisy or whatever) and what (if any) potential recovery of the said ecosystem can or will take place. I also feel that PETA could direct its energy beyond educating people on their actions and reconstructing devastating areas.

Seeing that Michelle brought up Obama, let us take a paragraph or two and speak about our president. I think there should be more attention drawn to Obama and his smoking habits as he signs the largest anti-smoking bill our nation has ever seen. I would rather see a special interest group up in arms about that. Being a smoker and all; or being that I am trying to quit smoking and Obama is a great role model for those of us that are trying to quit.

Wait let us stall on the role model part. Obama is a role model for an entire nation of African America children. He has given them the American Dream. One day I can be president. Obama has made that a possibility. Still stalled here, he has given hope to a great number of minorities and what they can do with their life. He has given the American people a reason to get up in the morning and be the best they can be and make the best out of what they have to work with.

Back to Barack and smoking; what you don't want to know is that he is falling off of the wagon (on a regular basis). But his falling off of the wagon concerns me. It is suppose to be OK because he doesn't smoke around the girls. It is NOT alright. He is doing it around the nation after he passes this bill to make smoking hell on the rest of us. So, it is suppose to be OK because the president of the United States of America is smoking and telling the rest of us to go broke and face jail time if we smoke or smoke around our kids. But he can do it. He is privileged to be making a triple digit income. He can afford to go broke smoking.

The other hand of this trite item is that the American People cannot afford to have a hypocrite for a president. It makes us look bad on a political stance. If our president will pass a bill and then admit the same day that he still is in violation of that bill himself, then what creditability does it give other countries to sign deals and contracts with our country? If he has enough balls's to violate his own policy then he has enough balls to renege on any deal with any country or government. That is all said in my humble opinion.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger dr sardonicus said...

I can't remember not having a hypocrite in the White House. (I guess Jimmy Carter came closest to not being one.) I'm more worried about Obama supporting health care reform than I am about his smoking or swatting flies.

6/23/09, 11:03 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Alvin is being a pest. He is standing on my left boob and rubbing my face. I can't focus on healtcare reform, I can't even breathe! LOL.

6/23/09, 11:07 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

Awww!!!! Wait until they are adults and they are standing on your boob. Yikes! I have a cat that weighs 20 plus pounds and he is always on my left boob. I should have no trouble on my next mammogram.

6/25/09, 5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.